Thursday, September 22, 2011

Beauty

I've spent a lot of the last few weeks wrestling with a knotty problem and, even after wresting myself loose from it, it's been difficult -- for understandable if frustrating reasons -- to get out of my own head. It's one thing to know that every thing is going to work out, to be confident in difficult decisions you have made, to be aware that time you give over to thinking about negative energy around you is time stolen, but it's not always easy to do in practice. Yoga, hiking, the company of friends, an ice pack to the back of the neck, all do it for me...usually. But I couldn't quite get there until I read something I wrote elsewhere, a few weeks ago:

"Beauty is all around us. It's a cliche but it's true. I'm a busy guy and sometimes I have my head up my ass...but all you or I have to do to get out of that place is to stop, take a deep breath, and look around. Once you're out of your head, there's so much better stuff to be a part of. There's always bad stuff to look at and dwell on. But there's always good stuff too. Given the choice, why not look at the good stuff? And be THAT guy, or that girl? Everyone around you has something to offer. If they're a drag to be around, cut them loose, of course. But don't be disappointed in them because they didn't offer you the specific gift you wanted them to give. They still bear gifts. Be grateful for that!

This is part of what I've learned. So thank you...even the people who were kind of jerky. I learned from you all."

I'm glad I found that little note, because my advice to myself was what I needed to find the right place again. I need to write more of this shit down.

No comments:

Post a Comment